I had the opportunity to live the theatre life in September and October when I played Jack's Mother in the show "Into the Woods" at a community college in our town. It was my first time being in a full-length play in years, and I had a blast!!
Jeremy is the one who encouraged me to audition. He randomly found out about the show from a work email, and sent me a text: "hey there's auditions for Into the woods tomorrow. do you know that show? you should do it." I've been wanting to audition for a musical ever since we moved here, so I decided to try with the expectation it would be good practice for a future time when I might actually have a chance of getting cast.
(First night of dress rehearsal. Can you see my aged makeup and body mic? So exciting!!)
I was really surprised when I got a part! Jack's mom has a few short solos and more speaking parts than I anticipated. She also got to be in a lot of group numbers. My character was one of several to die in the story, and the only character to die on stage in front of the audience.
(My spot in the dressing room! This was my second home for about 2 weeks)
My entire experience doing this show was extremely positive. The cast and crew were super fun to work with, very dedicated and passionate people. It was awesome to make so many new friends.
Rehearsals started the beginning of September, almost every evening M-F. Jeremy picked up the slack with the boys and housework. It was funny on the weekends when I would try putting the kids to bed. Jeremy would remind me in joking, "Umm, hate to break it to you, Honey, but we have a good bedtime routine going on, and you are kind of messing it up." Haha.
It was really fun to do a show after 5 years of directing shows as an elementary and junior high music teacher. I think the experience of directing helped me a lot in the auditions. And it was refreshing during rehearsals to work with college students and adults. Simple things like everyone keeping track of their props and hanging up their costumes without being nagged, was all a breath of fresh air, haha. I also learned a lot from the directors and seasoned performers.
(Garrin played my son in the play. We were both new to performing at this theatre)
I took Tanner and Dallin to see the green room and theatre one day before rehersals. Tanner felt very comfortable there, haha. He asked lots of good questions. Dallin was more timid, especially when we entered the theatre. The forest set made him afraid. "I skeered."
We had 5 days of performances from Oct 7-11. It was so much FUN!! I was impressed that we pulled off such an incredible show with just 5 weeks of rehearsal. Our cast was awesome!
(Emily McAlister was Little Red and she sat on my left in the dressing room)
Show week was super fun in the green room. A couple of us made sure we had something to eat almost every night. Peanut butter party and salsa night were my favorites. Here we are toasting with some sparkling cider.
(Lindsey McAlister and Jen Bute sat on my right in the dressing room)
Here are pictures from the actual show! Can you find me in each one?
During all my practicing at home, Tanner would get really annoyed hearing the same lines and music over and over again. Sometimes he would tell me "you said it wrong that time" and try to correct me. I really wanted him to come see the show to understand what all my practice was about. Tanner came with Jeremy on opening night to see Act I, which is 1.5 hours long. Tanner sat through the whole act really well. The only times he was disruptive was when he was excited about something happening on stage. He liked it a lot and thought that all of the special effects were real. We talked about the show for about a week after because he had lots questions. I told him how everything was done to look real, but assured him that it was all pretend.
This is my death scene.
(It was in Act II, so Tanner didn't see it)
The cast and crew!
I felt honored to work with all of these great people.
Meanwhile, Jeremy was not left out of the spotlight. He worked hard writing and starring in a film for his canned chicken brands. He filmed with a professional crew on this local farm. Jeremy dressed up in overalls, flannel shirt and straw hat. The finished video was only 4 minutes, but it was hilarious and made a big hit at the sales conference in Pheonix! He doesn't see himself as an actor, but Jeremy has quite a few theatrical skills.
I could not have done this show without Jeremy's help! He got me to audition and cheered me on every step of the way. September had a lot going on between teaching, rehearsals, Tanner starting school and Guatemala. I think we made it through pretty well, thanks to my better half! In addition to all the help at home, Jeremy also spent a lot of our Guatemala trip listening to me recite lines and memorize songs, which I know got annoying. Oh yeah, and when we did karaoke with the cast one night, Jeremy got up and impressed everyone with his rapping skills. I love this guy!
























No comments:
Post a Comment