It was GREAT to be in Hawaii to see our siblings Melissa and Jon and their baby Hazel!
As soon as we got there on Monday, March 2, Hazel and Dallin hit it off really well! It was my first time and the boys' first time seeing Hazel. She is so happy and FUN!
We shopped at Costco in Honolulu and then went up to Laie where Melijon live on BYUHawaii campus. Jon is getting a business degree there. We were lucky because Great Uncle Jim and Aunt Nelda were also on the island for a vacation, so they helped us with driving arrangements getting to Melijon's house. It was perfect!
When we got to Melijon's apartment, we played on the grass and enjoyed the humidity and warmer weather. (Tanner slept on the couch inside, as he was still very sick).
So far, Hazel and Dallin are the only Zavoral cousins with blue eyes.
On Tuesday, we went to the Polynesian Culture Center (PCC). I had been there before, and was really excited to see everything again. And now after going, I want to go back for a 3rd time. There is so much to learn and experience there! Cool Fact: the PCC is mostly staffed by the students at BYU-Hawaii, and their wages help pay for their tuition and housing.
Tanner was feeling a little better as the day went on. Even though he didn't have a whole lot of energy, he was excited to get this free crown made of palm leaves.I was so happy that he was excited to try making fire by rubbing these sticks together.
I love Jeremy's tropical glow.
A highlight for Tanner at the PCC was finding sticks. I love how kids are so easily pleased, even when they are sick.
Stick game in "New Zealand."
Jeremy and I played the game with a group of people. We were the last ones standing. Jeremy triumphed!Here is one of the shows. They dance on moving boats in the park. It's really cool!
We learned how to throw a spear.
Waiting to ride the canoes.
Our Polynesian "tattoos" around our ankles.
The idea was to learn how to do a Tahitian dance. But instead, I sat next to the drummer and volunteered to learn how to drum some Tahitian rhythms. It was awesome.
This is proof that Hazel was with us. Ha! Poor thing, we were so mesmerized by the park, we didn't pay much attention to her while we were there.
Dallin still fits in a mei tei! He enjoyed being on my back for awhile.
Melissa took the boys and Hazel home for dinner. Jeremy and I stayed for a Luau and the awesome Polynesian show called "Ha! Breathe of Life!" The food at the Luau was way more amazing than I expected.
We also loved the big show, which was complete with a plot, Polynesian dancing, singing, and special effects. I was balling through a lot of it, though, because during the scenes about passing through this life, it was too easy to think of Grandma Davidson on hospice and her eminent passing. The show was a beautiful reminder of all the lessons, opportunities and people that come to us throughout the Circle of Life.
Wednesday was nice and relaxing. We walked to the beach in the morning.It was fun and chilly. We enjoyed digging and seeing the views. We had the place to ourselves!
That afternoon, Jeremy and I did a session inside the temple with Uncle Jim and Aunt Nelda. It was very beautiful and peaceful there. It was a great opportunity to reflect on the meaning of life and to turn our thoughts to Grandma, and to try gaining some peace about her situation. A special thanks to Melissa for watching the boys so we could go!
Here's the view from the temple doors, looking out to the ocean at the end of the road.
Here are some pictures that Melissa took while she babysat the boys.
That evening, we went out to dinner with all the cousins that live in Laie for school. We got to meet Spencer's wife, Tessa. In between spills and whines and outbursts from our children, we kind of had some conversations with them.
This great family photo was taken that evening.
Thursday was our Honolulu day! Tanner got to ride in the back of the car. He did the shaka sign to everyone he saw and was very anxious for people to do it back. A few people paying attention really made his day!
On the boat to the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor. I love it when Tanner smiles like this. Finally kind of back to his real self at this point!At the Memorial.
Meanwhile, Melissa and I and the kids ate lunch at Thai restaurant. Then, we went shopping at Walmart. Tanner got some company in the backseat, haha.
I got to sit next to this smiley girl in the car the whole day!
We met up with Jeremy again and chilled at the beach to watch the sunset. The boys REALLY enjoyed finding coral rocks.
When we got back to Laie, we babysat Hazel so that MeliJon could go on a date. She reorganized our luggage of laundry for us, how nice!
Hazel loves interacting with people. Everytime that Dallin or Tanner would come close to her, she giggled and giggled and smiled huge. Half of the time, Dallin was taking toys away from her or pushing her to stop messing up his toys, and she LOVED being pushed by him! We tried disciplining Dallin. We tried explaining to Hazel it was actually sad, not funny. And we tried to keep our own laughter to a minimum, but it was hard. She is so dang funny!
Here are my attempts to get a picture of Hazel and the boys. Hazel thought it was cuddle and tackle time.
These are the best smiles I could get. 2/3 kids smiling is pretty good, I guess!
But here's the winning picture!
Melissa got a last minute flight to Sacramento the next day to help with Grandma. Even though our time with Melissa and Hazel in Hawaii was over, we still had lots of Hawaii adventures awaiting us. Stay tuned!
















































































No comments:
Post a Comment