Well, the wonderful 5 months of my maternity leave has come to an end. (and it truly has been wonderful!) Tomorrow is my first day back at work. It will be bitter sweet because I have made such an awesome, special bond with Tanner, but I also can't wait to be making music again with my students.
Honestly, I feel a lot of peace about going back to work. This is something that Jeremy and I have talked, fasted and prayed about in great detail numerous times. Since I made the decision back in April to return full-time to teaching, I have felt very calm about it. I am going to miss Tanner terribly, and I will probably cry all the way to work tomorrow, but I know he is in wonderful hands! I really believe that Heavenly Father has been paving the way for me to be able to go back to work.
For one thing, my employers have been amazing with accommodating my schedule, paycheck and work environment, making it possible for me to work and be a mom at the same time. Also, I was able to find an excellent home daycare in our neighborhood that is cheaper than what we planned on, and it won't take any time from my commute to drop Tanner off there. Another blessing is that Tanner is an extremely easy-going baby. And since I've left Tanner with many friends and babysitters, it won't be a traumatic thing for us to leave him with Heidi. Another blessing is that I was able to have a much longer leave time with Tanner than most working moms. During my leave, I learned how to cook and clean more effectively (among other things) so that our home is a happy place. I was able to take Tanner to Colorado and Sacramento, too. I feel like the timing is perfect for both Tanner and me.
And the list of blessings goes on! It's neat for me to think about different experiences that I've had during my maternity leave that now seem to have a purpose. For example, because Tanner had a hard time latching on the first week of his life, I learned to use my pump really well. And he learned to use a bottle really well. I still breastfeed him, but I am so grateful that he can take a bottle of my milk or formula without batting an eye. I have friends that couldn't get their babies to take a bottle, and it was very difficult when the time came to go back to work because their babies wouldn't eat! So I am feeling very blessed!!
I wish I had more time to describe other blessings and experiences that I feel have prepared our family for my return to work. Maybe later...
Well, my posts might be a little sporadic for awhile. I'm not really sure how life is going to be once I get back into work. But one thing is for sure- I will not let teaching consume my life like it has in the past!! The rules of my new life are 1) don't forget what's most important: your relationship with Jeremy, Tanner and God. 2) have fun at work with every group of students, there's no sense in getting stressed out- even if a show is coming up; 3) leave work on time every day, you have a kid now! 4) when you're home-BE home. you can't even think about work!
Wish me luck!
1 comment:
Thinking of you Sarahlynn and hoping your first week back to work is going well. I remember crying the first week I went back to work and I only work 3 days part time. I still miss Phoebe when I leave but the sweetness of her running and yelling "Mama!" as I open the door followed by the biggest hugs and kisses is the BEST!
Post a Comment