Saturday, April 12, 2014

Just Jeremy and Me in DC

Jeremy and I went on a much needed 5 day, 5 night vacation without the kids!! 
For over a year, we were planning to go to Guatemala with the Hormel volunteer program called Project Spammy. Unfortunately, we didn't get selected from the wait list. We still wanted to go somewhere alone, so we ended up booking flights to Washington DC! 
It turned out to be a fabulous trip for multiple reasons: 1- We got TONS of sleep each night. I'm talking 10+ hours of uninterrupted sleep 5 nights in a row. Heavenly!! 2- Our sister, Tanya, lives there now, so we got to spend some time with her! 3- It was Jeremy's first time ever in DC. 4- The cherry blossoms were blooming pretty much the first day we got there, so everything was extra beautiful!
Day 1 
  • Private Tour of the Capital Building with Tanya. Tanya actually works on the hill as the scheduler for a Utah Congressman, and she learned how to give tours at the capital during her internship. It was awesome having her show us everything. 
  • Lunch at super awesome salad place with Tanya and her boyfriend Clay. 
  • Jeremy and I toured the Library of Congress, which was so beautiful!
  • Ate dinner at yummy Mediterranean place.
  • Asleep by 9:30 pm!

Day 2
  • Brunch with Tanya and Clay at Eastern Market
  • Tour the White House
  • Nap at hotel
  • Baseball game with Tanya and Clay, Nationals vs Braves. Awesome dinner next to the field.
  • Tour Tanya's house and visit until late at night 
(in line at white house)

Day 3
  • Sleep in
  • News-eum. We loved it! Spent 6 hours there.
  • Walked around the Mall
  • World War II monument
  • Lincoln monument
  • Pizza dinner at our hotel

Day 4
  • Air and Space Museum
  • Lunch at Native American Museum Cafe, very yummy and unique
  • Crime and Punishment Museum. CSI stuff is one of Jeremy's new interests.
  • Dinner at fancy Indian restaurant, six course meal!
Jeremy's face of worry/stress after ordering the 6 course meal.
My face of excitement after ordering the 6 course meal.

Day 5
  • Bike ride on the mall
  • Jefferson Memorial
  • Bike ride along the Tidal Basin. Enjoyed all the cherry blossoms!
  • Vietnam War memorial
  • Lunch from food trucks
  • Pack and check-out of hotel
  • Sealing session at the LDS Temple
  • Tried to figure out fastest way to airport. Crazy adventure racing the clock. Made it to airport 20 minutes before departure.
Can't get a taxi, so trying to figure out walking route to metro.
We walked for half a mile and got picked up by a very nice local who took us to metro.
Phew! We made it on the plane just in time. That was too close!
I'm so glad the two of us got to spend all this alone time together. I was really nervous about leaving Dallin because he doesn't drink from a bottle very well. And even though he had a few tough nights without us, I'm so glad we did this trip! I can't say enough about how wonderful and rejuvenating it was to go places and eat and have conversations with Jeremy without little ones tugging on us and needing us constantly. And once again I was completely enamored with how awesome and funny and cute and smart Jeremy is. I am so happy to have him as my husband and best friend!

2 comments:

Megan said...

So fun! I miss it there.. ha ha sometimes. It's so busy! Rushing to the airport sounds about right :)

Chelsea said...

What a fun trip!!! I wish we could have met you there. I'm so glad you guys got to do that sort of thing!