On Christmas Eve, we went over to the church to set-up for the Davidson family party. The family is too big to have dinner at anyone's house, so we use the Relief Society room at our church to eat, sing songs and play games. After we decorated the room, everyone played basketball. Tanner really wanted to join in, too.
The Christmas Eve party was really nice. (But we didn't get any pictures). Highlights of the party were 1) Surprising Zach (our brother) and Katrina (his new wife) with a wedding cake and pretending it was their wedding luncheon (they eloped last month), 2) I played the piano while the cousins performed the Nativity, of which Tanner wanted to have NO part in. Instead, he whined and cried most of the night because all he wanted to do was play basketball in the gym and drive Gma's Flinstone car. I think he had a fever, too, because he was really sick that night. And 3) Singing with all the married cousins "On The 12 days of Christmas, my Drive-Through gave to me" while Gpa Davidson conducted us with a giant candy-cane as his music baton. I've never seen him so happy!!

Later that night, we had our traditional gift exchange with immediate siblings. We each draw a name to get someone a nice gift, and then we get gifts for everyone else from the dollar store. We started doing this last year when more people were added to the family, and it is awesome. You really get to use your creativity. Jon splurged a little on his gifts. For $3 and with Gma Davidson's help, he made these shirts for all the in-laws of the Zavoral family. Notice that to be a Zavoral in-law you must be tall, brunette and good looking. The shirts have our initials on them with the words "In-Law Club" embroidered on them!
Jeremy kept our brand new twin nieces happy during the gift exchange. What a good uncle!

On Christmas morning, we did the traditional line-up to see our gifts. Tanner technically shouldn't have been first because the twins are shorter than him, but they obviously can't walk, so he got bumped in front!
Here's Tanner finding his gifts and stocking from us (Santa plays a very different roll in our family. Maybe I'll devote a blog post to explain this later, as it is something I'm really passionate about).
The electric toy drill and tool set was a hit. He played with it most of the morning!
Jon was the all-star at gift giving this year. In addition to the in-law shirts, he crocheted all the guys these bearded beanies.
After Christmas morning gifts, we enjoyed our brunch with the Zavoral extended family at Aunt Judy's house. Tanner LOVED all the food, scarfing down pancakes, eggs, pineapple, watermelon, roasted potatoes, and sausage. It was great to be with Grandma Ginny again, who turned 90 this past summer.
Grandma Ginny with all 5 of her great-grandchildren!
After the brunch, we all went home and took naps. Then, keeping with tradition, we enjoyed snacks and games with the Davidson family at Gma's house.
This year was me and Jeremy's 7th Christmas together as a married couple. That's pretty crazy! And with little Tanner around as a toddler--fascinated at every Christmas tree, nativity scene, and nutcracker around--I'd say it was the best one yet.







2 comments:
Man, that's a lot of family to keep straight! I'm so glad you had a great time. I love seeing everything through the eyes of a toddler where everything is novel. I really do want to hear what you guys do for Santa, it is something that Ryan and I spent a lot of time discussing this year. I hope your pregnancy is going well!
I'm SO glad you captured all of this!! For the record, Jon had time to be the all star gift giver cuz he was not working! LOL Also they were my ideas :-)
Post a Comment