Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Our Little Music Man

Do you remember that video that I made called "Six months in six minutes"? It was awesome, right? So I tried making another awesome video that would include the next six months of his life. Well, that turned out to be a terrible idea because we had over 3 hours of footage. There was no way I could edit all of that down to a YouTube video that anyone would actually watch. 

I had to come up with a better way to entertain all of you. As I filtered through the videos, certain themes started to emerge:  Tanner learning to crawl and walk, Tanner with relatives and friends, Tanner exploring the house, Tanner traveling, Tanner exploring music.

Here's the first video that I completed from all of the footage: "Our Little Music Man"-- less than 9 minutes long!

I love this video because it supports the philosophy that EVERY child is musical. We are all born with musical potential, and when we are given the proper experiences, we can thrive as musical creators throughout our lives. I hope that you'll be as fascinated as I've been watching Tanner explore so many elements of music. 

My favorite part is a little clip at the end where he improvises on the piano. Many would simply pass this off as a baby whacking away at the keyboard. But if you watch closely, you'll notice that he has intuitively created a musical number that includes all the basic components of a little masterpiece, including an eerie introduction, rhythmic build up, dynamic climax, and then a calming resolution. My favorite part of the whole thing is that he makes a definite beginning and end to his performance, suggesting how purposeful his playing really was.

If you have trouble watching the video in this post, just click to watch it on the actual YouTube site.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My favorite was the drum and tupperware combo towards the end! I'm loving how his hair is coming in! Looking so grown up!