Sunday, September 28, 2008

SPAM and a Sandy Eggo

This week has been awesome!! Highlights involved serving samples of SPAM at the LA County Fair and a day trip to Sandy Eggo (San Diego).

Every year, the LA County Fair includes a SPAM cook-off where brave citizens attempt gormet meals with SPAM. While the judges taste and rate each dish, Hormel sales representatives serve samples of SPAM and handout SPAM t-shirts, pins, and food. Jeremy and I were on a team of four people preparing and promoting the samples. We cooked SPAM Terryaki served with rice.

It was actually really good. Here's the simple recipe: Buy SPAM. Open it. Cut in chunks. Put in skillet with terriyaki sauce and chunked pineapples. Heat until SPAM is crisp. Serve over rice. Enjoy!! (If you don't have terriyaki sauce, a nice alternative is soy sauce and brown sugar).

In payment for our catering services, we got into the fair for free and spent the day enjoying dog shows and magic shows. I figured out how the magician did his "mind tricks" while I was on stage with him as the guinea pig for some of his acts. It was cool.

On Saturday, we went to San Diego. The romantic date began with our first time in the San Diego Temple, which marks the 16th temple we've been inside as a couple (that means we average a different temple every 6 weeks that we've been married)! We went to the coast and explored tons of choral tidepools and found a baby starfish! After a little nap, we went to the Petco Park to see the Padres play against the Pirates. We got in free with some tickets that were found sitting on a bench.

It was by far the nicest baseball stadium we've ever been to. I couldn't get over how metro and modern, yet traditional and classy the place was. They had real restaraunts, restored 1900 buildings as part of the arena, a giant sandbox by the outfield for kids to play in, a wiffleball field for families and kids, and a park area where families played catch while watching the game!

Since we scored pretty good with free gas, free temple trip, free lunch, free aquatic exploration, the cheapest parking in town, and a free game, we splurged on dinner by getting two soft drinks instead of water and burritos instead of hot dogs!! After the Padres won, the stadium treated us to a free firework show to top off the romantic day. It was soooo fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you but my mouth is watering for a SPAM burger. It is to bad you didn't serve those!! How do you make those again. It just seems so complicated I am afraid to try it. Sorta like spelling and punctuation.

Chelsea said...

You guys are so much fun, I miss your spam meals!!! I'm glad to hear about your date to the temple... was that for your anniversary? I have a feeling like I am a few months off. You guys are the greatest and we are praying that NC is in your future(: