Saturday, September 6, 2008

Eight-Legged Visitor


For Labor Day, our parents from Colorado came to visit us!! It was their first trip away from home since my Dad retired this summer at age 54! Highlights of their visit included: fancy restaurants for EVERY meal except on Sunday, expensive golfing (very fun and pretty), boogie boarding with the best waves and low tide, I sang at church and my neighbor came with us, bike riding along Huntington Beach, nice long chats, games, piano playing, Crystal Cove and Laguna Beach.

When the tide was low on Monday, we went back to Crystal Cove to see the sea anemonies and crabs. Guess what unexpected visitor we saw?!? An OCTOPUS. It was 2 ft away from Jeremy, and he actually was standing next to it for almost ten minutes and didn't even know! It was brownish red and very camoflaged. The head part was the size of a nerf ball and it of course had eight tentacles, about 1 ft long each, but they were coiled up a bit so I'm not totally sure about their real length. We saw it sleenk under the rock when a big wave came by. It hung on under the rock and slowly crept two of its tentacles around the rock to feel what was going on. It looked like an alien! Jeremy touched it's suctions and said it pulled on his finger really hard. Of course, we didn't have the camera. But now Jeremy and I can say we've seen a real octopus in the wild!!

4 comments:

Holly said...

Oh how fun to have your parents come visit! How long will you guys be in Cali for? Did you get an pics of the octopus?!?!

meredith said...

That's so cool! I've never seen an Octopus at the beach. I thought you were going to talk about a spider!!!!!!!!

I'm glad you had a great visit with your family!

Mickelle said...

When I saw the title of your post I was afraid it was a horrid, terrifying spider story.

Glad it's not. Although, really, I hadn't made the connection between spiders and octopi until now. I guess things with 8 legs are always a little creepy. Who knew?

Anonymous said...

And here I thought your parents grew another set of legs each! Your parents look so happy! Too bad they're so miserable, being retired at such a young age ...