Tanner has been speaking up a storm! As a baby and toddler, he's always been vocal and good with his words (and signs). I think between April and July, we witnessed a huge growth spurt of vocabulary and streaming words into sentences. I love this age! It's so fascinating how literally overnight they just start talking like a real person! By his birthday, he was speaking 4 and 5 word sentences on a very regular basis. This past month we've heard lots of 6 and 7 word sentences and sometimes are graced with even longer ones. It's so fun to get a better sense of his feelings, opinions, ideas and even his imagination. Here's just a few that I've written down over the past couple of months.
(The pictures are recent random shots, not related to the quotes)
SL: Where did Dada go?
T: He's sad. Dada sad.
SL: Why is he sad?
T: Sleep. Wanna go sleep.
Tanner was right. Earlier, Jeremy had been complaining about being tired.
T: Sorry, Mama. No poh-blem.T: Don't fall, Me. Don't fall!
T: (after he had a sneeze) Bless you, Me.
In May, before Dallin was born, Tanner made his first dirty joke:
Yucky poopy! (laughing) Yuuucky pooooopieeee! (more laughs) YuMMmy poopy, Dada. Yummy!! (laugh and tons of giggles)
SL: What did you learn about in nursery today?
T: I go nuhsey.
SL: Yes, you went to nursery today. Did you learn about Jesus?
T: Yes.
SL: Who is Jesus?
T: Umm. God.
July 5
T: I want a lot of orange juice, Mama, please?
(whoah! Nine words!)
T: I see mama deer! I see dada deer.
J: Hey, where did our flag go?
SL: It disappeared yesterday.
J: Maybe the deer ate it, haha.
-A few minutes later-
T: Oh no! Mama deer ate flag. Dada deer ate flag... choking, choking! Mama deer ate flag!
SL: That's right, if the deer ate the flag, he would be choking on it.
T: Choking, choking, CHOKING! Oh no!
SL: But you don't need to worry, Tanner. The deer didn't really eat the flag.
T: Dada deer, mama deer, baby deer eat flag. Choking! Choking! Choking!
SL: No, sweetie. They didn't really eat the flag... Jeremy! Tell Tanner that the deer didn't eat the flag!
Tanner still brings this up every now and then. It's amazing to me that he was able to imagine the deer eating the flag and then realize that they would choke!
T: Mama's two boys crying!
(but it sounds more like "kwy-ing")
Adult in grocery store: What's your name?
T: ME!
Adult: How old are you?
T: ME!
It took him about two weeks to figure out that the correct answer to "how old are you" is "2." But he still doesn't tell his name. In fact, I've never heard him say his own name.
SL: Tanner, you seem extra cranky today. Or maybe, are you normally this ornary?
T: (cheerfully) YYYes!
T: I need my hammah! I need my shoe-dgivah. (screwdriver)
T: I'm fixing table. I wanna fix another table!
Except that Tanner can't pronounce "ix" very well yet. He says "uk" instead. So it really sounds like he is saying...
T: I'm f@!#ing table. I wana f@#! another table.
One night he said it over and over again! It was so hilarious, especially because Jeremy kept trying to correct him.
J: Oh, you mean your fiXxxing the table?
T: NO! I'm f@!#ing the table!!
I was rolling with laughter. Haven't laughed that much in a long time!
T: I'm coming....toy!
T: Mmm. Nice and fruity!
J: What do you think about girls, Tanner?
T: Loud.
J: Ya. They are loud. What do girls sound like when they scream?
T: Elephant.
T: Fiya-wuhk up in sky! Up high in sky! Ah moon!
T: I'm cooking in my pot. HOT, mama. Don't touch it! Get burn on finguh.
SL: Okay, I won't touch it.
T: Don't touch it, Hot, HOT.
T: DINNER READY! (Except it sounds more like dinnuh weddy!! He screams it really loud to Jeremy)
T: I'm writing. Look it, aMMMazing! Amazing pay-puh!
T: I'm washing fishie. Get the eyes... now mouth... now nose... all clean fishie!
SL: Heavenly Father is watching over you all the time, Tanner.
T: Faduh in sky.
SL: Yep, he kind of is in the sky, watching from heaven.
J: Lets do some counting. One, two...
T: One, two, three, pancake!
J: What? Okay, let's start over. One two three four...
T: No! one, two, three PANCAKE!
J: We don't have any pancakes. Let's start again. One...
T: two three, pancake! (giggles and laughter).
(While reading alphabet book)
SL: A says "a." A-a-apple.
T: a-a-apple. a-a-ant. (turn the page) a-a-baby! a-a-car!
SL: Tanner, who do we talk to when we pray?
T: Jesus.
SL: Yes, we talk to God, and we pray in Jesus' name.
SL: Where is God?
T: Scriptures.
J: Yes, that's where we read about God!
T: I'm working hard, Mama.
T: I want back in shower. I want Dada.
SL: Are you jealous that Dallin gets a turn with Dada? Are you jealous?
T: No, I'm BOY!
Tanner, like all kids this age, is quite the little parrot and we have to be careful what we say! The other day, I couldn't find my bra. Tanner was paying attention and soon was screaming at the top of his lungs.
T: Jeremy!!! I can't find my BRA!!
No comments:
Post a Comment