Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Problems Solved

Problem: Dishes. They are the menace to every household in America, especially if you don't have a dishwasher and you have baby bottles to clean. For almost two years, we've been eating off of paper plates and plastic silverware to help keep the dish load down. I know, I know. Our carbon footprint is shameful.

Problem: Food. It can get expensive. Last week, we were eating some Thai food that I made at home. We're chomping away quietly when Jeremy suddenly blurted out, "This meal cost us over $20!" Sure enough! The pre-made curry sauce ($6), the eggplant ($2), mushrooms ($1.5), onion ($.30), spinach ($1), green pepper ($1), jasmine rice (about $2 for a cup), the labor of cooking and cleaning (I'd say my work was worth $5), and of course the paper goods (let's say $3) all added up to about $20.80 for a meal for two--and a crappy meal at that. We could have eaten like kings at a real Thai restaurant!

Solution: Eat out from now on. Well, at least a for a few nights, just to see what it's like. So we decided to eat out every night for the following week. And that, my friend, solved everything! I didn't have to stress about grocery shopping, cooking, or cleaning. We got to enjoy our meals and get waited on. I haven't had to clean a single pot or pan for over 9 days!! Well, we did end up cleaning all the dishes that were piled in the sink by doing a few each night. It was great because the pile always got smaller. What a novelty! 

The best part is that we didn't bust our budget. We used gift cards, coupons, and went on days that we knew had specials. Here was our menu: 
Monday- Z pizza, $6. 
Tuesday- Del Daco, $4. 
Wednesday- Daphnie's Greek, $12. 
Thursday-Pei Wei, $12. 
Fri- Black Angus, $13.

No comments: