We celebrated our FIFTH wedding anniversary on Aug 25!! It's pretty amazing to be married that long. At the time, Tanner was only two months old, so we had to celebrate a little differently than anniversaries in the past.
The day began with a special message on the mirror from Jeremy. Later, I received an email from him stating that I had a special assignment. I had to study 8 different pieces of artwork and make up my own description/caption of them. The assignment had to be completed before that evening, but I had no idea why.
For our special dinner, Jeremy brought home Thai food, and I surprised him with a unique Thai setting at the dinner table, complete with Buddha, candles, Thai silk, real dishes and real silverware! (we usually eat with paper plates and forks since we don't have a dishwasher). Jeremy checked my "homework" and said I passed with flying colors. Then, Taryn came to babysit Tanner while Jeremy took me to a surprise event...
The Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach is an art show where actors recreate famous paintings in a life-size exhibit. (Hence the homework assignment, which included paintings at the pageant). The actors are dressed in clothes and body make-up that make them look exactly like the original painting. Then, with sets, props, and lighting, the actors stand as still as possible to create a live, but completely still- image of the original work. It was amazing!! Each "piece" looked completely authentic! The show included recreations of over 20 works, and also had narration, pyrotechnics and music by a live orchestra. We also enjoyed art exhibits by local artists. We had so much fun that we only took one picture:
It turns out that every blog post I've made on our anniversary has included a list. So here's a list for this year.
9 Ways that Having a Baby Affects Your Marriage:
- Instead of going to bed together at 1:30am, you wake up together at 3:30am
- Instead of gazing forever into your spouse's eyes, you spend forever trying to get the baby to gaze into your eyes
- Instead of arguing about who will take out the trash, now you argue about who will change the diaper
- Instead of acting like a natural athlete or musician to impress your spouse, you now try to act like a natural parent to impress your spouse
- Instead of criticizing poops, burps, and farts, you are praising poops, burps and farts
- Instead of competing with ESPN for your spouse's love, you are now competing with your spouse for your baby's love
- Instead of wanting to improve your marriage for your own sake, you want to improve it for your baby's sake
- Instead of just kissing the best looking adult ever, you also get to kiss the best looking baby ever!
- Instead of participating in sophisticated conversations with your spouse, you both participate in nonsensical conversations with your baby.
3 comments:
That art event sounded really fun, different and interesting! I would love to see something like that!
Your list was funny and sweet, especially the last one about conversation!!
You guys are the best! Love you muchness, Love,
~ Nana
Sound like a good anniversary.
You know when you are a parent when...most of your conversations with your spouse involves the babies poop. Haha have fun with parenting!
I like the list :) It was cute. Happy 5th!! Cute pictures Sarah!
Post a Comment