Sunday, July 11, 2010

Wild Animal Park

Highlights included:
  • Three itty-bitty baby elephants, 4 older baby elephants
  • Watching the elephants for a LONG time, splashing, walking, nursing, taking mud baths, creating mud-sunscreen, beautifying their bodies with mud, eating grass, shaking the dirt off of their grass heaps, chomping, pooping, bellowing, trumpeting, and more.
  • The "journey into Africa" ride
  • The steel band performance
  • Being hot (it hasn't really gotten hot yet in HB, so it was nice to feel some heat!)
  • Drumming with the African acrobats. Jeremy and I actually gained a little audience as we jammed out with one of the African drummers. And I learned a few new patterns!
  • Nature Walk
  • Making clay figurines
  • Watching all the kids' different reactions to the animals, performers, plants etc.
  • Critiqueing the variety of parental strategies displayed throughout the park- something very easy to do when you don't have your own kids :-)
  • Not rushing

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha loved the critiquing part, so true though.

i keep telling mom that the red barn is plenty big for a baby elephant to live in.
~desha

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

It's true! Actually, the entire lot is plenty big for a family of elephants to live on. He could use the daddy elephant as an additional tractor for moving stuff around.

Dawn said...

How fun. Where is this park?

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

It's in San Diego--not to be confused with the San Diego Zoo. Actually, many of the animals that are in the SD zoo are bred (sp?) and raised at the Wild Animal Park.

The biggest difference is that many of the animals at the Wild Animal Park are African and they roam free with other animals in large areas, unlike in zoos where they are in separate cages.

Mom Z said...

Is this the wild animal park that Jeremy has been to a couple of times?In the greater san diego area. Sarahlynn in this pic with your glasses you look like Desha. I found your sun glasses here. I thought they were katies and took them to utah and wore them to see if she noticed I had on her glasses but when she never said anything I told her and she said they were yours!

meredith said...

looks like a ton of fun!