In an effort to start the next singing game with my Kindergartners, I chose a few responsible kids to demonstrate what to do before I set the mob loose.
One student that I chose was Brandon (name changed). He is one of the funniest and tiniest students in his grade.
"Find a partner, Brandon," I urged. "Choose someone who is being really responsible."
Brandon's demeanor immediately changed from a giddy, free spirited little kid to an authoritarian. He straightened out his pants, stood up as tall as he could (which was just 3 ft high) and put his hands straight at his side.
With the most teacher sounding voice he could muster, he announced, "Okay, boys and girls! I am looking for a student that is very responsible. Someone that is sitting criss-cross applesauce, and is quiet and...and has their hands like this (gesturing linked fingers) in their lap."
Trying not to laugh, I sat back and watched to see how long he would play teacher.
He then slowly walked back and forth, around his peers, with his head still up tall, but his eyes gazing down below him. Every child was now sitting as still as soldiers, all with their hands in their laps. "Hmmm," Brandon thought out loud. Putting his fingers to his chin, he said, "Let me see. Who should I pick?"
He waited as long as he could, then without warning cried out "Tommy!!" And giggled uncontrollably with his new partner.
I love my job.
2 comments:
SarahLynn,
That has totally happened to me too---- the only difference is sometimes I can't help myself from laughing and I just say, "You students are so great, I just have to laugh and smile sometimes!" And then I spend the rest of the class trying to keep the giggles in, since once I start laughing, as you know, it is difficult for me o STOP!
Chan rak kun!
Thanks for that! Cute, you are so fortunate to love what you do!
Post a Comment