Sunday, August 30, 2009

Back to School

This Tuesday is the first day of school. It is really exciting, but there's a lot of stress and anxiety too. The first week is crucial to the success of the year, so no pressure or anything, right? Luckily, I know nearly all of the students I will have. It is going to be so neat to see the same groups of students that I've taught before. What a treat that music specialists have!

I've got my new room all ready, which is a soundproof studio that already existed on campus. Finally we will be able to make music as loud as we want!! No cares about anyone hearing us. Our brand new African drums line the walls, my stuffed animals and songbooks color up the space, and my bulletin boards are ready for new melodies and rhythms to be added by the children. And I've also got 4 grade levels of lessons planned- just a few more grades to go. Ah!

There is one thing that I am not looking forward to, though. That's being misunderstood. Already, in my short career of teaching (this is my 3rd year since graduation) I have witnessed the sad politics and gossip and stupid competition that occurs among teachers and other colleagues in education. For the most part, the teachers that I've worked with in all of my teaching jobs have been fantastic. They are driven to help children and love what they do. And I have had some amazing teammates throughout the years (like Laura, Debbie and Cammie, to name a few).

But it's those 2 or 3 teachers or administrators that can literally destroy one's passion and love for teaching- if one lets them. I'm learning that most of the political crap & gossip among teachers happens due to pride and simply an unwillingess to understand. That's what I hate the most about life right now- being misunderstood.

So I am just trying to take all of the unfriendly, humiliating and downright coniving encounters that I have had with these people in good measure. I've got to just chalk it up as experience, to try to forgive and understand, to be patient, full of charity. And literally rely on Heavenly Father for strength so that my fiery flame for making a difference in the lives of children is not squelched by the pessimistic few.

I have faith that if I rely on the Lord to magnify my talents, and if I am humble, somehow I will figure out a way to deal even with the most difficult of people.

7 comments:

Jeremy said...

Wait, I don't understand you.

Sarah said...

I really hope you have a great experience teaching this year. You are so talented and I know your students will love you and have fun just like last year!

Don't let other peoples attitudes and stupidness (I don't think that's a word...) affect your love of teaching!! You are right, people's pride can get in the way of so many things, but don't let it get in the way of being a successful teacher!!

Good Luck!!
<3 Sarah

Lindsey H said...

Although I don't know what specific incident you are talking about, I can still relate. I too hate the gossip and politics of teaching! Keep being that awesome teacher that I imagine you are!

Dawn said...

You are teaching children, and they seem to love you! Good luck this year.

Dad Z said...

That Jeremy ... where does he get that sarcastic sense of humor?

SarahLynn, your passion for music and teaching the children music is absolutely incredible! There will always be those who are jealous or envious of your enthusiasm, but don't let it get you down. Maybe that soundproof room will keep all the gossip from entering! Gosh, I wish I had you as a teacher ...

Alyssa/Jo said...

What a trip!! How awesome!

Chelsea said...

You know why you're in the schools, and that's what matters. I wish I could be your teammate, I've thought more than once that you would be a lot of fun to work with! I think I'd try to copy all your cool ideas though. I can't wait to hear how things go, and we are so excited for all the excited things in your life these days!