Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Got The Job!!

Last week I found a job opening on craigslist for a music teacher K-4 and 7th grade choir at a private school in Anaheim. My first interview went tremendously well. The principal said I would for sure be called in for a second interview. I was then asked to teach a demo lesson for some of their fourth grade students. I was able to practice the lesson on some music classes that I subbed for during the week and Jeremy gave me a blessing beforehand. What great tender mercies!

My demo lesson was observed by the principal, board of directors and fine arts director. They were all very impressed, asked me a few questions, etc. I felt REALLY good with how the lesson went. Two hours later, I got a call. The principal said he still had other people he was supposed to interview, but they already knew that they wanted me for the job!

I got the official job offer yesterday. Some of you teaching friends have asked what the pay will be. They will give me a full time salary of $40,000! I start this next Monday because their previous music teacher passed away. I will finish up this year with a subsidized pay and teach all of next year, too.

Jeremy and I are so excited and feeling super blessed. We recieved his promotion, a lower rent mortgage, and the teaching ad all in the same week. Heavenly Father really did have things in store for us. Waiting the 8 months to know what it was is all worth it now! And I'm glad to say that I figured out by the 2nd month to just trust in the Lord and not stress out about things. Something I recommend to all, especially during these tough times.

Now, I've got to move my teaching stuff into the school, figure out what the students already know, meet the faculty, make the room look like me, etc. This school has great resources, so I should be able to get going pretty fast. Jeremy has already said goodby to me, as he anticipates I will be sucked into the job like I was when I taught 5th grade last year. But I am committed to keep a balanced life and to not forget that he is my husband and best friend. I've also committed to keep blogging. So I will need y'all to help keep me on track!

I've learned some neat things the past couple of months. Once again, I've learned that if we do our part by paying tithing, living righteously, wisely managing our money, and having faith, we can have peace and protection. It might not be easy or what we expect, but we can know that Heavenly Father will take care of us.

16 comments:

Holly said...

congrats!! funny how things have a way of working out when we rely on the Lord:) that's awesome!

Mollie said...

SL!!! So exciting! I know exactly how thrilled you must be-- able to get back to what you love. And what an awesome salary. Seriously. Best of luck starting in the middle of the year. You will be GREAT! And it's gotta be nice knowing that your admins are so impressed. You rock!!

Cyd said...

Congrats SarahLynn!!! The Lord really does take care of His children and is aware of us :) Miss ya girl

meredith said...

Congratulations Sarahlynn! I am so excited for you!!!!!!
BTW- I must agree with Jeremy as i am still working on preschool stuff at 9:45 at night. It really sucks you in!!!

Anonymous said...

$40,000!?! They got a steal! You'll be great in that position. What a wonderful opportunity ...

Scott said...

Congratulations, Sarah Lynn! That is absolutely wonderful news. I am delighted for you both!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE JOB!!!!!!

That is so exciting! When is your first offical day? Thanks for the news, love to you and YES give Jeremy a hug I hope he won't be feeling like a widow, but he won't because as you said you have learned a lot and you are going to keep things in balance!
God Bless you!
Love XOX ~MOM

Anonymous said...

Sarah, super! Great job!
Yes, don't forget about Jeremy. It is a teaching job, not a mission! You will do great. Think of it this way. If you give it 80% that will be the same as most people giving 120%! So, you can be the most awesome person they ever had, without it consuming your life!!!

And, this Jeremy will appreciate: I still think you should have held out for more!!! Just kidding, that salary is very good for a new teacher and in a private school things will be better with better behaved students and more support and resources.

Take care, Love, DAD

Anonymous said...

Congratulations SarahLynn! Way to go! What a blessing from God...your faith, and diligence! Love, Cammie

Anonymous said...

Sarahlynn,
Congratulations!!!!! They are so entirely lucky to get you. I can't wait to hear of the wonderful things you are doing there.
Sorry I haven't responded to your last email. I knew I'd need a good, solid amount of time to write you. I'll find it soon, I promise. I love you so much. Thoughts of you bring smiles and hope. You are definitely one of the blessings in my life. Congrats again.
Love,
Laura

Kelly said...

Congrats! That is so exciting! Also, I don't know if I told you this or not but I am super excited that you are staying in CA! YAY YAY YAY! Hopefully we will find time to see each other next time I'm down there.

Dawn said...

Congrats! Have fun with it.

Christine said...

Congratulations, Sarah! I can't wait to hear all about your new students.

God Bless,
Christine

Kirsten said...

Congratulations, Sarah! It looks like things are working out for you guys beautifully.

It was nice to hear from you, and I'm just now getting around to responding!

Take care!

Sarah said...

That's wonderful SarahLynn! Congrats! I hope you enjoy your new job, I'm sure your kids will love you!
I miss your smiling face in Provo!
Best of luck!

Laurel said...

Congratulations, SarahLynn!! Those children are very blessed to have you. You will be a remarkable music teacher. I think of you often. I'm so glad to hear things are going so well for you! Lots of love!!