Sunday, February 22, 2009

Back in Teaching Mode

The past two weeks have been super crazy, but also very rewarding and successful. Everyone at the Fairmont School has been very welcoming to me. The students are fantastic, well-behaved, smart, highly motivated, etc. The teachers are all really helpful and supportive. I have an AMAZING mentor teacher who actually checks up on me every day, answers my questions and gives her honest input--something I've not had in the past. The principal and other administrators really appreciate my ideas, energy and abilities--something else that was lacking at my last full time position.

So I have to admit that I'm not used to having so much support and respect. Everyone is treating me like gold and no one bats an eye at the fact that I am new or that this is my first year as a music teacher. It makes me want to live up to my fullest potential and offer every good thing that I can to the students and the school. And I don't have to be worried that people will be threatened or offended by my enthusiasm.

Yesterday I realized that I've only taught each class three times so far. It seems like I've been with the students much longer than that! Things have just been happening, happening, happening. I've barely been able to keep my head above water. Actually, my head has been filled with liquid all this past week. I ended up getting infections in both of my ears. I still went to school and taught, which was a dreamy feeling since I couldn't hear anything that I said. But I was still able to sing and teach my lessons.

To top off the stress of being new and sick, the school had their annual Open House on Friday the 20th, which is perhaps the most important day of the whole year to this school. Every parent and prospective parent comes to the Open House to determine if they will return the next year. Talk about pressure.

Well, I took it upon myself to make the music room look immaculate for the event. And I even set up stations throughout the room for parents and the kids to interact with. Mr. Drake, the principal, LOVED it so much and praised me the whole week for coming up with the idea.

The Open House went super. I asked the Lord to bless me so that my ear infections wouldn't inhibit me from being professional and happy with the parents. I knew he would help me because He has promised to be there for me if I've been trying my hardest to do all that I should.

Needless to say, I didn't feel any pressure during those two hours of the Open House, only had to lightly wipe my nose a couple of times and was SO happy the whole time. The room looked great, the kids and parents loved the activities I set out, and everyone had really nice things to say to me (like how their child has not stopped talking about music since I came to the school, or how their child has recently been coming home singing songs from music class and teaching them to the family). Jeremy had a fun time touring my room and the rest of the school. He said he loved everything I've done so far and was impressed how I did it in such a short amount of time.

As soon as the Open House closed, though, all the pain came back and I slept until Sunday morning. I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father loves me enough to answer my prayers and help me with accomplishing my missions in life. I love Him for that!

I'll post pictures of my new job and the Open House soon!

7 comments:

Dawn said...

I bet you are doing a great job. How fun that you really get to do what you went to school for.

Joanna said...

You're great SarahLynn. Those kids are lucky to have you as their teacher. So exciting that you get to teach music again.

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing story. I love you SarahLynn. I am so excited for you and I am glad that you have such a supportive husband that loves and respects you. You are so blessed and I too feel blessed for being your friend.

Love

Jine

Anonymous said...

SarahLynn, you are amazing! I start the music part of my student teaching on Wednesday at Westridge Elementary with Mrs. Karlsven! I am so excited! We will have to share ideas:) love you! p.s. I'll have to tell you about this Thai Benefit Dinner I am helping out with this Friday!

Mollie said...

I am so happy you are in such a great school! Best wishes with the rest of the year- you will be fabulous.

Stacy said...

Congrats SaraLynn on your teaching position. I hope that you are feeling better.

Laurel said...

It is wonderful to see you are in a place that you can really use your talents to the fullest, SarahLynn! I don't know if I ever sent you our blog address, but just in case I didn't here it is... http://piccolopages.com/