I'm not gonna lie. It was the most rewarding work I've done in a long time. No kidding, it was a LOT of work and we were pooped by the time Brooke and Ryan got back. But it was also soooo fun. How often do you get smiles and giggles in exchange for making a silly face and simply saying "AaaBOO"? I mean, you've gotta admit how neat it is to have a little person fall in love with you simply because you make the most ridiculous sounds!
It was awesome to have Jeremy help. He is really embarrassed that I'm saying this, but I don't care! He deserves to be recognized. Seriously, I got a great catch. And fortunate, too, because I never had the chance to prove Jeremy's children skills before we were engaged. With every other guy I dated, I organized at least one date around kids to test his capabilities with children. Somehow Jeremy got a rain check on that one and I had to go on faith. It must have been his way of surprising me with his hidden talent. Jeremy is a complete natural with children!
Jeremy exceeds all of my child-skill expectations in a man. He holds babies and little people perfectly, not in the awkward way that some guys do- even though he is large in stature. He's really sweet and gentle with them. Even if someone else is holding the child nearby, without thinking about it, Jeremy will reach over to the baby and stroke its leg or let it grab his hand, just while he's carrying on a conversation with people.
Jeremy knows how to change diapers, rock babies to sleep, feed babies bottles, and calm an upset two year old. He can multi-task with babe in arms. He knows how to kindly discipline, play imagination, and read books without sounding monotone. In fact, Jeremy makes funny sound effects for every voice or object in books that he reads to kids. (I should've known since he does this in adult conversations, too, which is something that I fell in love with right away). Jeremy also knows how to use teachable moments. He makes mundane things like pushing a stroller interesting. He loves to cuddle, and kids love to cuddle with him.
Below are some moments to give you a picture of our babysitting weekend:
Funny Moment: While playing imagination, Rylie and I "drove" to the store. I asked her "What kind of store are we at?" Rylie proudly responded, "Um. A white one!" Later, Jeremy said that's how he categorizes his store visits, too. He either sells to Vietnamese, White, Hispanic or Black stores.
Most Stressful Moment: Bathing the girls one at a time in the kitchen sink. (Jeremy was at a bball game). Zoey was really upset about getting in the water, and kept leaning over the edge while I tried rinsing her off. Water got all over me and the floor. She cried a lot and I got frustrated.
Music Moment: Since I'm a music teacher and worked at the BYU music preschool for 2 years, you can imagine that I do a LOT of musical activities with the girls. We stopped at our apartment for Jeremy to change his clothes. The girls have been there once before, and Rylie was really excited to be there. (And I mean REALLY excited. It was so funny.) Anyway, while we played in the living room, Rylie got up to the piano and sang her version of "I am a Child of God." Then, she played some lower notes and talked in a deep voice, "Monstas walking in castle." She was retelling the Halloween story that we made up at the piano before! We told about a castle where ghosts, witches and monsters lived. The monsters were represented with low, slow notes. How rewarding to see that she remembered!!
Longest Quiet Moment: After calming Rylie from a nightmare, I went to sleep and the clock said 12:40am. The next time I was woken by Zoey and the clock said 2:35am. I have a better understanding now of what parents mean when they say Sleepless Nights. And this was cake compared to newborns!
Sentimental Moment: Jeremy gave me a kiss and we sat down together on the couch. Rylie jumped on my lap and said, "SawahLynn, Jehmy loves you?" I chuckled and said, "Yeah. And I love him. And we love you, Rylie." A big grin spread across her face.
Annoying Moment: I was holding Brielle, and headed for the pantry door that is in the corner of the kitchen. Rylie went ahead of me to help get the food. Keiko, the dog, lept in front of me before I got there. We were all cramped so that I couldn't open the pantry or move. When I finally got what I needed and tried getting out of the mess, Zoey and Keiko had creeped up and blockaded my way out! I know the dog's just trying to be a part of the family, but really. It's so annoying when I've got people in my arms and he's in the way.
Messy Moment: We got Wendy's and set out a picnic at Mile Square Park, which is a gorgeous square mile of grass, ponds, playgrounds and bike paths. I fed the twins baby food in their car seats. We had all our food spread out on the blanket and the girls' faces were covered in Gerber goop. But the breeze and warmth was perfect, and it was great to just be outside, eating and making a mess. All messes can be cleaned, ya know.
Another Funny Moment: We found some ducks to feed. The girls were enthralled. After 10 minutes of feeding the ducks, Jeremy realized that he was standing on a giant sign painted on the pavement: DO NOT FEED THE DUCKS. We looked around and realized that these signs were painted every five feet apart and there were other signs posted around the water. Then we noticed that people all around the pond were staring at us! Fearful of getting arrested or something, we threw in the last chunk of duck food and walked off to the playground, trying to look inconspicuous. We also got chased by geese later on. Not the friendliest bird-of-a-feather out there, that's for sure!
Favorite moment: Jeremy had Zoey bundled and cuddled asleep on his chest and his arm around Rylie, who was sitting beside him. Both of them were staring wide-eyed at SportsCenter on TV.
Educational Moment One: Unlike other times that I've done this sorta thing as a single gal, there was a huge feeling of security from the girls because Jeremy was there. Rylie often made comments about how Jeremy was going to go to the park with us and eat with us and sleep with us. Zoey and Brielle loved that he was there, too. Just more evidence of how important marriage between a man and a woman really is!
Educational Moment Two: Indeed, it was a lot of work. But very rewarding. I'm really excited for Jeremy and I to be parents someday! I think we'll do a pretty good job of it because we were a great team!! I'm still baby hungry, but I think I can hold out a little longer, as I really enjoy the freedom to sleep through the whole night undisturbed. We're gonna gladly sleep it up as long as the Lord sees fit!
12 comments:
those girls are DARLING!!!
yeah, there is nothing more sexy than your man loving on a baby! teehee
~desha
check out my facebook ASAP...scroll down my wall past harry potter and star wars...
Wow! It looks like the two of you were very busy. I am sure you will have more appreciation for sleep.
- Ha Ha Ha
I can really understand your excitement and fun with the children. It's a little bit like being grandparents in that you know your aren't forever responsible. I love our grandchildren so much - even the big married ones - and look forward to Sandy and Wyatt having a baby so we wont be entirely out of little ones. As we think of where to seat that many people for Thanksgiving it seems odd that we wont be having a few little tables for little people, but we are kinda fresh out of very many little people.....think mostly the size of Matt...so some of us may be sitting on top of each other, but that's okay we like togetherness.
Your updates are great fun to read - keep them coming,
Love ya, never change,
Grandma D.
SarahLynn,
Jeremy learned all his parenthood skills from his dad. Did he also play catch with them in your hallway and soccer with the couches as the goals?
hummmm I wonder if Jeremy was so good at those things because his mother had him (ie. nagged) take care of his siblings and learn those things?
Nagging has a way of paying off for the future wife and Boss.
Love,
The nagging mother who must have done something right
SL- Until recently I would have been thinking, "man it's really going to burst her bubble when she can't get away b/c no one is going to take your kids for them. " But, then, someone said hey let me take your kids, and now shawn and I are going away so yes, I bet someone will do it for you too!!!
You guys are so great- when are you moving back so you can take my kids??????
Sarah and Jeremy,
Thanks for the news of your weekend. It sounds like you both had a great time with the girls and maybe got some good ideas for the future. How sweet, glad you could see things you value in Jeremy even more Sarah.
Yes, I should have mentioned that Mom and Dad Z deserve most of the credit for how great Jeremy is with kids. Thanks you two!!
WE LOVE YOU GUYS AND ALL YOUR MOTHERING/STUDLY WAYS!
What a fun adventure! We used to love to watch the Muldowney kids. Did you know them? I can't remember. Anyway, four kids under the age of four. It was crazy.
Hey SarahLynn how's it going! When I pulled up your blog and saw the pictures of the three kids I was like "whoa, she's been busy!" ;) but then I read the blog. You always were so thoughtful and sweet. Glad I found you guys on here. Hope all is well!
Sarah Lynn and Jeremy, you two really are amazing. Thank You for the sweet escape. This was not an easy task and the both of you were naturals. This was the first time in history that Rylie did not cry!This is the first time we have been away overnight as well. Anyway, Rylie keeps talking about all of the fun memories with you two. Thanks for introducing Rylie to The Wizard of Oz, she can't get enough of it! Sarah Lynn, Rylies always singing her cute versions fo the songs you taught her and Jeremy your the master of teaching a two year old about the digestive tract. Now when Rylie takes a drink she says, "in my mouf(mouth), in my tummy, now in my diaper!"
Thanks again
Brooke and Ryan
Post a Comment